Monday, September 28, 2015

Sunday Sweets - Meringue

Yes, I know it's Monday but I was too exhausted to post my Sunday Sweet recipe yesterday so I'm posting it today. I had guests from out of town stay at my house Saturday and Sunday so I was a busy lady this past weekend cooking and cleaning and cooking....and eating. FYI - I started dieting today...let's see how long it'll last...

I chose to make Meringue's for dessert Saturday evening. If you have never had a Meringue you are missing out on a fluffy but at the same time crispy cloud of sweetness that puts a smile on my face just by looking at them!



There are different methods of making Meringue's that differ from country to country. The most popular are the French, Swiss and Italian Meringue's. I always use the French method because it is the easiest and uses the least number of ingredients.

You will also be happy to know that one Meringue has only 20 calories! Isn't that wonderful?? Unfortunately though, becasue of their delisciousness....it's pretty hard to stop at just one. #willpower

All you need to make about 50 meringue's is 120 grams of egg whites, 220 grams of powdered sugar, a few drops of fresh lemon juice, and sprinkles to decorate are optional.

 
 
I used this glittered sugar which I thought was really cute. They come in 4 colors (gold, silver, blue and pink) and they looked really cute on top of the Meringue's.

The first thing you want to do is make sure you have either a metal or glass bowl to beat the egg whites. This is a very easy recipe but there are a few secrets to get it perfect. The egg whites must be beaten in a clean and dry bowl. There should be no water or grease present whatsoever in the bowl and never beaten in a plastic bowl or else you will not reach the right consistancy and the eggs will not be firm enough.  Before beginning turn the oven on very low heat to about 175° farenheight or 80° celcius.  A mixer will definetly help the process and you won't have to mix by hand which can be a real pain in the tucus...


Add some powdered sugar to the egg whites then start mixing. Once the egg whites start fluffing up stop the mixer and add some more sugar. Do this slowly until you have added all of the powdered sugar necessary.

 
Once you have incorporated all the sugar add a few drops of fresh lemon juice. The lemon will give a nice shine to the egg whites and will also remove the typical smell produced by the egg.
 

Keep mixing until you see the egg white is firm and forms beautiful mountain peaks of  sugary sweetness!
 
 
You are now ready to GENTLY add the mixture to a pastry bag and pipe on a baking sheet with parchment paper.   


You don't have to space them very far apart because they won't grow at all. You are technically not even baking them but you are simply drying them out. Now you can decorate with sprinkles if you like.

 
Place them in the preheated oven but leave the oven door open slighty.
 
 
As I said before, the heat should be very low. Total time to cook is 2 hours. After one hour, I turn the tray around so the back part is in the front. The back part of the oven will be warmer so half way through cooking time make sure to switch sides or else the meringue's in the back will cook too much.


They are now done. They should be crispy on the outside and softer on the inside. Don't they just make you smile :-)



Have a wonderful week my friends!


6 comments:

  1. Oh, Silvana, your meringues certainly make me smile, first of all because they are so very beautiful and second because they remind me of some luxury moments of my life in Italy. I tried every day to have a peaceful moment with a cup of coffee, a newspaper and something delicious... sometimes it was meringues and sometimes it was "mezzelune con ripieno di mela".
    I never tried making meringues myself, because everybody said it's so difficult, but your recipe looks so good that even I could try... :) I must bookmark this post.
    Thank you for sharing and have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Silvana, your meringues certainly make me smile, first of all because they are so very beautiful and second because they remind me of some luxury moments of my life in Italy. I tried every day to have a peaceful moment with a cup of coffee, a newspaper and something delicious... sometimes it was meringues and sometimes it was "mezzelune con ripieno di mela".
    I never tried making meringues myself, because everybody said it's so difficult, but your recipe looks so good that even I could try... :) I must bookmark this post.
    Thank you for sharing and have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Sara! I thought it was hard in the beginning too but it really is "una cavolata". The secret is to beat the eggs very well until they are firm. If you have a mixer you don't even have to worry about it...just let it do it's thing and they are so yummy as a snack. You can have an Italian luxury moment in Finland as well :-) Ciao my sweet friend!

      Delete
  3. These look outstanding! I'm not so hot with a pastry bag but I'll give it a shot

    Thank you!!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Jane...the consistency of the egg white is very thick so it's not hard at all! Like all things, it just takes some practice! xoxo

      Delete
  4. figlia mia che dio ti benedica!!! io proprio non le so fare! hai fatto la pavlova?

    ReplyDelete