Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Prawn Linguine with Fresh Cherry Tomato Sauce

I know I haven't been very good at keeping up with my blog lately and I do miss it. This is a place where I like to share the things that make me happy and it's something I really enjoy doing so I'm happy to be back here today. 

Things have been pretty hectic with work and life in general.  I've been making an effort to go for an hour long walk/jog every day after work. I've been doing pretty good with sticking with it so I'm proud of myself for that. I haven't noticed any drastic weight loss or anything but I feel stronger and have more energy so I guess that's some improvement. 

My favorite blogs to follow other than DIY/home decor blogs are weight loss blogs.  I'm fascinated by the drive and motivation that these bloggers have to push through on their weight loss journey. I'm inspired by them to live a healthier lifestyle because that kind of drive is not easy to maintain every day for an extensive period of time. At least not for me... I'm usually pretty good for a couple weeks then I slowly creep back to my old eating habits. I'm sure I'm not the only woman who struggles with this...it's just frustrating at times especially when the warmer weather comes around and I'm trying on bathing suits and shorts...ugh! 

I have tried many fad diets and low carb eating but I find that it's not in the least bit easy for me to maintain long term.  Yes, I would lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time but I would always put it back on again (...and then some...) as soon as I starting eating regularly again. I also firmly believe that moderation is key and that it's ok to have pasta every once in a while but I make sure that the condiments or dressings used are healthy and light so I opt for a fresh tomato sauce as opposed to a creamy cheese sauce for example. I'm also trying not to mix carbs and protein in one meal so I'll do rice or whole wheat bread with a salad or veggies for lunch for example and only protein and veggies for dinner. Hopefully I will maintain a steady and gradual weight loss without having to starve myself or feel deprived from the foods I love. Anyways, I'm not here to give weight loss advice I just wanted to document what I've been doing lately and it seems to be working for me (for now at least lol). 

On that note I wanted to share a delicious and light seafood pasta dish that is great for summer and won't leave you feeling weighed down when you finish eating. This is a typical Italian dish that I made for our Sunday meal a while back and instead of using ready made sauce I made my own tomato sauce from fresh cherry tomatoes.



It was just the two of us so I bought a handful (about 8) fresh prawns.  These little guys don't really have a lot of meat in them but they do have a lot of flavor so they add a delicious seafood taste to the sauce. I just rinsed them and dried them off with a paper towel and set aside. 


For the sauce I used about half a kilo a fresh cherry tomatoes cut in half.  I added them to a pot with a cut up shallot and some fresh basil leaves and let them cook for about ten minutes on low heat stirring occasionally. I didn't add any salt yet as it will be added later together with the prawns. 


Next I placed everything in the sauce maker and pressed the condiments into a small bowl. 


Keep turning until you're only left with the skin and seeds of the tomatoes. Make sure to scrape the sauce off the bottom of the press. 


Here is the fresh tomato sauce that will be used. 


Next I sauteed the prawns with one garlic clove (which I removed once it browned), about a tablespoon of olive oil and a cup of dry white wine. 


When the white wine evaporates add the sauce. I like to press the prawns down while cooking to release the juices which will add that delicious seafood flavor to the pasta. 


At this point I added salt and pepper to taste along with some chopped fresh parsley.


In a separate pot I cooked the linguine "al dente" drained the pasta and added the sauce amalgamating everything together for a few minutes on low heat. 



That's pretty much it! Now you're ready to serve...preferably in your favorite dinnerware :-)


This is about a 400 calorie dish and it will keep you full for a while. In the future I might try making this with whole wheat pasta which would probably be an even healthier alternative and I'm sure would taste just as good. 


I hope you enjoyed this recipe. 

Have a great rest of the week and I promise to be back again soon and update on my weight loss progress.

xoxo

Silvana


Shared on: 



6 comments:

  1. Oh, this gets all my favorite food groups -- seafood, pasta, fresh tomatoes, wine and basil! This may well be on the summer menu. (Like you, I always make my own tomato sauce. If the fresh tomatoes aren't great -- and here in Michigan they aren't for about eight months of the year!) I'll use a canned tomato puree as the base and add fresh herbs, garlic and whatever other things I like. It's so much better than the jar!)

    I'm one of those who has dealt with the weight struggle for many moons. After my ER trip I couldn't eat fat much at all till after my surgery a few weeks later and I started losing weight. Now I can add it in some and do but that experience really changed my eating habits and I look at the labels carefully and make choices. So far, 14 pounds and it's kind of sitting there, but I've also been a bit more negligent and not moving as much as I should. Good for you on your daily walk! I almost feel like I don't want to blog about it much for fear of jinxing it like I have before! But I get exactly what you mean! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe looks incredible and I'd love to try it. Could I use a blender in place of a sauce maker?

    Good for you on the walking. I do well with eating and making the right choices. Getting a lot of exercise is the hard part for me. I do cut carbs way low and that has always worked for me. It helps if you keep the right foods in your house, make a few containers or bags of snack that are easy to grab, and every once in a while have pasta or my favorite, risotto!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jane! Yes I'm sure you could use a blender. The difference is that the skin and seeds of the tomato would be included in the sauce. A sauce maker makes for a really silky tomato puree.

      Delete
  3. Delicious, delicious...
    Oh, I would definitely need a sauce maker like that! Homemade sauce from fresh tomatoes is so tasty!
    Your one hour walk/run sounds good. The surroundings are surely beautiful. Oh, I would like to join you. :)
    Happy weekend! Baci!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Silvana, Oh my this looks incredbile and a healthy pasta dish. Great job on the walking. It is such a wonderful healthy benefit to keep moving. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so delicious! I don't believe in diets... A healthier lifestyle is much better!

    ReplyDelete