Saturday, July 15, 2017

Hair Care Tips for Bayalage

I've always loved changing hair styles and color since I was in my teens. I am naturally a pretty dark brunette but with very fair skin. I never really liked my natural hair color on me because I always thought it washed me out...kind of like Morticia Addams...I don't know. I have always preferred going lighter...like a lot lighter... and anyone who knows a thing or two about color can tell you that the darker your hair is, the longer it takes to process and therefore the more damage it does during the bleaching process.




For many many years I highlighted my hair at professional salons using foils and I remember it taking four hours from the time they started to the time I was finally done. It took me half a day to do my hair simply because it took forever to process.

I would have to go about every three months because my roots would be so dark and the contrast with the blonde was super evident and I hated seeing those dark roots. Needless to say my hair never grew past my shoulders because the tips were so fried that they would break off and I would have to trim it.


This was the lightest I have ever been. 

I loved my blonde hair but it was just taking a toll on my ends and it was way too much maintenance. Since I work during the week the only time I could go get it done would be on Saturday mornings and my whole morning was shot because it took FOREVER. 

At one point I wanted to grow my hair out longer and my hairdresser told me that until I kept bleaching my hair, I woud not be able to keep it long.


This was at my brother's wedding. My ends were pretty bad at this point and you can see the strong contrast with my roots underneath. 

I decided I wanted healthier longer hair so I went dark. And it was... meh... but I wanted it to grow so I just dealt with it.

At a certain point the color started fading and my hair became a mousy ugly greenish color and I dyed it again...brown...and it was fine in the beginning because it was a change but as time went on I started to hate it.


I did this a few times.  I would alternate periods of brown and then go back slowly to blonde by highlighting often. One time I decided to go completely blonde from root to tip and my hair turned bright orange. Yeah... that was a disaster...


So last year I went dark again after a long period with highlights. I took care of it, trimmed it often, deep conditioned and my hair became healthy again.


And as always I liked it for a while but then wanted to go lighter and  at that point I decided to get on the Bayalage band wagon.  Bayalage is all the rage now and I think it is absolutely gorgeous. It's natural and at the same time lightens giving you this stunning sun-kissed look that many brunette celebs have opted for and I think it's fabulous.
Via
After watching 10,000 YouTube videos on the technique I found that many beauty gurus have been DIYing it and you can see for yourself that the method that they use is really pretty simple. So I decided to try it out for myself and I love how it turned out. I also saved a crap ton of money by doing it myself. I have been getting so many compliments so that's why I decided to write a post on it.  I'm not a beauty expert whatsoever so I'm not going to explain the process in detail.  Just look up "DIY bayalage" on YouTube and there are bunch of great tutorials available. There are a few tips to getting it right that I'll share here if you want to try this out.

Via
The photo above is not of me by the way but it shows the technique well I think.  Basically what I did was divide the hair in strands and saturate the ends well while "feathering" upwards either with a brush or your fingers and in this way you don't get a harsh line where the bleach ends but rather it's a gradient transition.  I did use foils to process better but you can opt not to.



This is my hair now. 

 There is an important step that I found out about later because it wasn't really stated in many of the videos and that's the toning process following the bleaching.

If your hair is very dark like mine is, you will most likely turn brassy the first time you do this.  This is not a great look (i.e. my orange hair pictured above).



You need a blue or purple color to tone the orange because the opposite of yellow on the color chart is purple and the opposite of orange is blue. 

Many people use a DIY toner that I tried and it worked pretty well and that's mixing a deep conditioner with a drop of semi-permanent purple or blue hair dye.  This will not turn your hair purple it will just tone it getting rid of the brassiness. It also conditions your hair so win-win. I left that on for an hour and then rinsed it out.

You should also use a purple shampoo and conditioner and this will help with the brassiness as well.

This is what I use. It's pretty inexpensive, it works well and smells like grapes. :-)

The bayalage technique lets me keep my roots dark while giving me a lighter more natural look.  Unfortunately I do have some grays so I just touch up the roots and keep the ends blonde. I don't have to redo the blonde as I did with the highlights every three months frying my hair so I can just keep deep condition and my hair grows longer and is healthier. 



In order to grow my hair longer I have been taking a Hair, Skin and Nails supplement and I really think it has been helping a lot. 
Found here
Once a week I'll use this coconut oil based nourishing hair mask and it leaves my hair feeling great. 
Found here

Another thing I have been careful about is protecting my ends when I go to the beach because salt water, chlorine  and the sun can also greatly damage your hair especially if it has already been bleached. 

This stuff is a little expensive but it's worth every penny in my opinion. I think Kerastase is an amazing brand for hair products. 

Found here

I hope I was able to share some helpful tips if you are thinking about doing this.  I have really found it beneficial for me and I feel like I can grow my hair longer while keeping a lighter color. 

I hope you are all having a great weekend and enjoying summer so far.  It has been super hot here lately! I will be on vacation in just a couple weeks and I am sooo looking forward to that!  God Bless <3

Annnd I think I'll end this with a selfie filter...cause why not?



xoxo,


14 comments:

  1. I really like your new blog dress...more 'you' and options galore!

    I'm glad you posted this, as I've watched your hair change so much as I've followed you on your blog and IG. You are gorgeous no matter, but your hair has been a focal point of longing for many of us!! And your big smile!

    I like the look you have now...is this another word for ombre? It's very popular here, some salons boast this as their number one specialty. My daughter Abby, who is very dark, French blood of course, started the ombre look a year ago and it was sadly always a brassy blonde on the end and a terrible line between light and dark at the mid section. She finally found a new place and it has made every difference. I'll be posting a pic soon as she was just at a wedding and looks fab in all the pics. And you do too! Thank you! More beauty tips, please.......

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! It's similar to ombré but the difference I think is that bayalage goes up higher and then lower again kind of like a "W" I don't know if that makes sense so it is more natural looking than ombré.

      Delete
  2. I have to say you have truly inspired me. And I'm not just saying that because you linked up at the Dishing It & Digging It Link Party. I HATE getting my hair colored, it takes freaking hours and my hairdresser kind of overbooked me on our last appointment. So when I was getting "colored", she'd go cut someone else's hair.. Then she'd rinse me but then go back to drying her other customer, it took 4 hours. I was so tired by the time I left and mad. I never thought to see if I could bayalage myself, but now I am going to try it. Thanks so much!! SHaring this post on my FB page over at https://www.facebook.com/rusticandrefinedblog/ this afternoon so others can be just as inspired!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much! If you feel confident enough I say go for it! I have found my peace with this technique I'm telling you! I hated spending hours at the salon and I feel like they never did exactly what I wanted...I've been to many different places as well. This way I can go as light or as dark as I want and it really isn't something you have to be super precise about either. It's a pretty forgiving method for lightening hair even if it's not applied perfectly.

      Delete
  3. I can relate to this. I also have dark hair and pale skin and feel washed out sometimes. I do highlights and I get so sick of spending so much time getting it done. I have short hair though, and more gray coming out every day! I'm afraid if I tried to doe it on my own I would end up with green hair or something crazy!
    Your hair looks beautiful - you always look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! I understand being afraid about messing up. I've done my hair myself before so I felt pretty confident even though I'm not gonna lie... while I was waiting for my hair to process I was a little worried but it was all good in the end lol. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Hi Silvana, you look gorgeous. I love this post sharing how you get the look you now have and it's stunning. I do most of the same here with the help of my new designer over the last year. He is fabulous and I am loving the lighter look once again with dark roots and light and low highlights all through for a natural color. We also use a toner to blend it all together. For me, going to the salon is working better. I was doing it myself the last few years and since I have so much hair and so thick, I needed the help. Finding a great stylist to listen is important. Love your hair and your beautiful photos. Have a great week my talented friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you've found someone you can trust! Your hair is gorgeous so it's obvious your in good hands :-) thanks for your sweet comment Celestina! Love following your Instagram account... you are one talented lady!

      Delete
  5. Oh honey, you could dye your hair purple and you'd be gorgeous!

    Seriously, your hair is very pretty and you are too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, love the end selfie, very cute!

    And I know what you mean about our hair never quite being the way we want it, even if others think it looks lovely just the way it is -- and I thought you were a gorgeous brunette and a gorgeous blonde! So, for my two cents, it do it the way that makes YOU feel best (and is good for your hair, because you're right -- too much processing can be a bad thing in the end!). I'm glad you've found a product that you really love. My hair is naturally curly and for years I fought it. But now, I can't imagine having it not curly -- so easy to get out of the shower and just have to dry my bangs straight. But that said, if I didn't get the gray out every month, it would be a bad thing!

    Thanks for coming over to Marmelade Gypsy and leaving a lovely comment on my post. I love it when you visit! ~ jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how you always desire what you don't have? My hair is spaghetti straight and I love a beautiful curl! Thank for commenting Jeanie

      Delete
  7. Good for you! It looks fabulous on you. Your hair is now healthy, long and so beautiful. Love how you shared this to your readers. You are a gorgeous woman. I thank you for your prayers and your sweet visit. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hair looks awesome, well i am using TRESemme Renewal Hair & Scalp which is just excellent.

    ReplyDelete