Monday, July 31, 2017

Ikea Hemnes Buffet Makeover

Hello friends! Hope you all had a great weekend. I will be going on vacation in just one week and I am so ready! I did some major reorganizing and cleaning around the house getting things ready in the guest bedroom for my mom and some relatives that will be staying with us next week.  While I was at it, I decided to give my buffet a little lovin' because it was looking kind of sad...  
This bad boy was jam packed with crap that I absolutely did not need anymore and it was starting to overflow... So I said enough is enough you are getting a makeover! 


This was my inspiration photo and I fell in love with it! Marissa from Lilly and Cedar did such an amazing job transforming this piece. 
Via

I found these pulls from a local hardware store but wasn't really feeling the gold finish.


So I  gave them a coat of oil rubbed metallic spray paint and it was perfect. 



All I did was clean the buffet thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, sanded and directly applied the water based paint taping off the top. 


I initially wanted to spray paint it as I have seen many DIY bloggers use this approach but it just didn't turn out right. It started dripping and it looked uneven...I'm sure I wasn't applying it correctly but I just preferred switching to the good old fashioned paint and paintbrush technique ;-)


That TV is ridiculously heavy so I left it on there and when I went to stain the top I just moved it to the side and waited for it to dry and stained the other side.  It worked fine for me. I used a water based stain that dried very rapidly. 

Ready for the after pic??


I added those two baskets from Ikea in which I stored extra wires, chargers et cetera in the middle basket and magazines in the lower basket. I cleaned out all the drawers and cabinets organizing everything and throwing unnecessary things away. It feels sooo good to get rid of crap you don't need. 


Here is the view from the family room now. I think the space looks so much brighter now. I love it. 


I'll leave you with another before and after 'cause we all love those..I know I do!


I would love to do a post soon sharing a complete tour of the house. I'm doing some redecorating in the bathrooms and changing things up in the kitchen as well so when I get that done I'll share it here. I like to document the changes I make around the house.  It's funny how taste in home decor changes throughout the years don't you think? 

On Instragram I shared a peak at my upstairs gallery wall.  I have been adding beach themed wall art for a while now.  It's very different than my downstairs living/dining room area. This space is right above the stairs and it connects the three bedrooms and bathroom. I guess you could call it a little reading nook. I'm on the hunt for a cozy arm chair to put in that corner where the lamp is.  I still am quite unsure of what to do here. It's kind of a strange area and I feel like I never know what to do with that that little window for a window treatment.  Any suggestions are more than welcome! 


I know I haven't been sharing any good recipes lately and that's mostly because I haven't been cooking anything particularly share worthy. Hopefully I'll be more inspired soon... 

Until then, I wish you all a fantastic week ahead!

xoxo, 


15 comments:

  1. wow! I love it! <3 have a lovely holiday! and enjoy spending time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear! Hugs to you and your girls

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I'm loving your whole decor! The cottagey look is perfect with your new buffet. I love hearing how you scooted the tv from side to side...that's something I would do. When a girl is on a mission!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I was definitely on a mission!

      Delete
  3. You did a beautiful job on the buffet redo. You're right -- the white really works here. And I love your beachy nook. I tend not to have a lot of window treatments, wanting all the light I could get, so in my space, that might just have a valance or even a natural swag over the top and uncovered window/sides. But that doesn't offer privacy, so if the room is in an area where that might be an issue maybe those Japanese-style pull-down shades that still let in a lot of light. (I don't know what they're called!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie that's some great advice! I like the idea of the valance.

      Delete
  4. Bravissima, Silvana! The buffet looks so good now.
    I loved your makeover post on Instagram, but didn't realise it's a Hemnes piece, it's my favourite series. :)
    Have a lovely, not too hot August. Baci!
    PS Bumblebees a r e the cutest insects there are, also in real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok ok... maybe I'll reconsider the cuteness of the bumblebee :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness Silvana, it is beautiful. Great job on transforming this. Kudos to your sweetie. Thanks for sharing at DI&DI. I am happy to feature your lovely buffet this Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Silvana, I love your buffet makeover! Great job and looks terrific! I am glad I found your blog from the stone cottage adventures linky party. I see your reading nook and I used to watch Candice Olson religiously. When she would come across a small window like that she would always take long panels on either side from the ceiling to floor length and then cover the window with sheers so it actually made the window look huge. It tricks your eye actually. Maybe something to think about. The only thing would be that you would have to probably move a couple of the paintings around. Paintings are beautiful. Did you paint them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love it! It looks a lot like my buffet that our tv sits on. I wonder if I dare to paint it? Now you have me thinking!
    Hope you have been having a nice vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun makeover! Really beautiful job :) Thank you so much for sharing with us at Dishing It & Digging It & congratulations on being featured this week!

    Oh, and by the way your pets are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your beautiful makeover from Ikea. Yours turned out nicer then the inspirational piece. Really looks amazing in your gorgeous cottage room. I love your style my friend. Hope you're enjoying your time with your mom's visit!! Have a great week. xo

    ReplyDelete